Mission and Approach
The mission of Geometrician Associates is to provide clients, review agencies, and the general public with a thorough and objective description of environmental impacts of a project. Our firm is committed to a professional level of inquiry commensurate with the sensitivity of the environment and the scale of impacts.
Geometrician serves as prime consultant, subconsultant or fellow consultant on teams of scientific and design experts. Our approach breaks barriers between disciplines and promotes constant and open communication to help projects succeed and excel on all levels.
Ron Terry, Ph.D., is Principal of Geometrician Associates. He earned a B.A. in Geography in 1980 from the University of Hawai`i at Hilo, studying with Dr. James Juvik, Dr. Sonia Juvik and Dr. James Kelly. Supported by a National Science Foundation grant, he received a Ph.D. from Louisiana State University, also in Geography, in 1988. He was Assistant Professor of Geography at the University of Hawai‘i at Hilo from 1987-1992. During his professorship he began his consulting business, and started full-time consulting in 1992. He remained an Affiliate Professor at UH-Hilo for many years and continues to occasionally lecture. He has been active on various boards and associations related to environmental science and policy. In his spare time, he hikes and travels with his wife and business partner Arlene and rides surfboards and mountain bikes. Longtime collaborating associates include biologists Dr. Patrick Hart, Layne Yoshida, Jennifer Johansen, and Jen Lawson.
We feel privileged to have our home on the island of Hawai‘i and honored to contribute to the betterment of our island home.
- Geometrician Associates has been a corporate sponsor of the Hawai`i Concert Society for over fifteen years.
- Geometrician created and endowed the Geography Department Founder’s Scholarship at UH Hilo to honor professors Jim Juvik, Sonia Juvik, Jim Kelly, and Jack Healy, who created the vibrant program that graduated hundreds of students who went on to work in planning and natural resources in the State of Hawai`i and elsewhere.
- Ron Terry was appointed by Governor Cayetano to the Marine and Coastal Zone Management Advocacy Council, where he served six years; by the Board of Regents to the Mauna Kea Management Board, where he served eight years and spearheaded the Natural Resources Management Plan; and by Governor David Ige to the Environmental Council, where he has served since 2016 and helped revamp the Rules that administer the State’s EIS law.
- Ron Terry helped found and has served on the board of Hilo Bayfront Trails Inc, a 501-c(3) non-profit dedicated to construction 6-miles of shared-use, ADA-compliant recreational paved trails winding through the heart of Hilo.
- Ron Terry speaks to agency personnel and college students on environmental impact assessment. To inquire about a speaking engagement, please contact our firm.
- Our firm provides selected environmental and cultural groups with EIA services at a reduced rate or pro bono, depending on availability. Beneficiaries of these services have included Hawaiian culture-based charter schools, the Edith Kanakaole Foundation, and Ha`ola Inc. To inquire about potential services, please contact our firm.